Sunday, November 29, 2009

Experimentation

The scientific method states that to do experimentation, one should: (1) use their own experience, (2) form a conjecture, (3) deduce a prediction, and (4) test. Then repeat as necessary (like shampooing). No where in there does it say to seek out the help or advice of other scientists. Maybe one of them has done something like this experiment before and can give you some advice.

I tend to be a very independent person. I have trouble asking others for help and hold my emotions and struggles in, so as to not bother others with my problems. I am quickly learning that that aspect of my personality is going to need some adjusting to deal with motherhood.

First, with handling pain. While pregnant, I candy-coated a lot of the pain that I was feeling. I just tried to suck it up. Although that made people say that I was 'quite a trooper' during labor, maybe if I let the doctors and nurses know just how bad things were all along I wouldn't have had to deal with so much pain. Now, while healing from delivery, I know that I need to take it easy and ask for help from my husband and family, so as to not overdo it and make my recovery longer and more painful than necessary. However, knowing and doing are two very different sides of the coin. I am working on this though. Again, I will also need to be willing to make my pain known to my doctors and not just assume that it is all normal and something that I need to cope with.

Second, with getting help wtih the issues of motherhood. Nursing, for example, is turning out to be much more difficult than I ever expected. This afternoon, I found myself breaking down in tears and having to hand off my son to be bottle fed by my husband. What kind of mom am I? Mothers have fed their children for thousands of years. Why can't I get this? Breastfeeding is very natural, so it seemed to me that help would be unnecessary. This evening, I called on my neighbor (who is a bit of a breastfeeding guru) to come and give me advice. Within about 10 minutes of coming over, Xavier had latched on and we were successfully nursing. I understand that this doesn't mean that we will have no more problems, but I also understand now the importance of seeking out help before I allow my problems to become overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment