Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Meet Ariadne

I got a new spinning wheel! She is a Kromski Fantasia and I have named her Ariadne. I'll explain why:

When I was younger one of my favorite parts of Disney's Fantasia was the Pastoral Symphony which depicted the wedding of centaurs. At the festivities, several of the Greek gods made appearances. My favorite, when I was young, was Dionysus, the god of wine. I thought that he was so funny stumbling around happily spilling his wine.

So, it seemed that my Fantasia should have a name from Greek mythology. Ariadne was a mortal born woman. The myths about her vary and contradict each other (as most of the myths do). Some say that she was granted immortality when she married Dionysus, but others say that Artemis killed her with her bow because she hurt Dionysus. The most famous myth about her, though, is the help that she gave to Theseus in navigating the Labyrinth and killing the minotaur. She gave him just two items - a sword and a ball of string. The ball of red yarn that she gave him was a special ball that she had spun that would help him find his way through the confusing and changing Labyrinth. The spun string made her name proper for a spinning wheel. So, here is Ariadne, my Kromski Fantasia.

2 comments:

  1. Knowing the Talented Liz...many beautiful items will come from this spinning wheel!!

    ReplyDelete